Sunday, August 18, 2013

Weekend Review

We hit the North Ashe tailgate market on Saturday morning. Picked up blackberries, blueberries, eggs, potatoes, onions, ground beef, and Boston butt. We came home and made sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches on Bruegger's bagels. The sausage is from Hickory Nut Gap and the eggs came from a farm in Alexander.

I knocked out my site quota in a really great mood. There's such a comfortable vibe to the market. These days it's busy, but everyone's in a good mood, people bring their dogs, and there's almost always someone playing music. This weekend, there were three guys at one of the entrances: banjo, guitar, and fiddle, I think, treating us to bluegrass that I had to tip them for, because it made me smile so.

Sunday we slept in, then hit the evil big box store for essentials and then some. I don't have a meal plan set up for the week yet, but the next couple of days will be easy to throw together now that the main shopping is done. The bills are paid, so we're pretty strapped again, but we'll make it work.

It's such a balancing act. I bought 2 more shirts at the EBBS that will last me well into winter as bottom layers, and they make me feel pretty; so I don't mind not having the dough now to spend any more on canning jars or lids. I popped the fresh blackberries into the freezer and will address them in 2 weeks, at the next check. But I did find half-gallon jars that will work for the peppers when I dehydrate them, and for storing the starter in the fridge.

I feel pretty rich, for being so poor. There's another blueberry cheesecake setting in the fridge and 2 loaves of sourdough cooling on the counter. The starter lives for now, and will go in the fridge too after tonight. The laundry's done, and I'm getting a jump on sites tonight, because doc appointments this week will mess with my focus and time management.

I hope my happiness is contagious.

Have a great week, y'all!

No comments: