Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday

Having trouble keeping my mind on work today. We're smack-dab in the middle of the first cool day of August. In Florida, you can't even put "cool day" and "August" in the same sentence. Those are true dog days down there, where all you can do is put your head down and slog through them, and it feels just like that if you're not a fan of swoon-worthy humidity. The relief I experience from living here should really be bottled as a depression cure.

I'm sure we could turn around and crank up to high 80s next week, so I'm enjoying the cool while it's here. But even the 80s aren't really 80s here...I've barely been sweaty or uncomfortable this summer at all. Pesky shade. Must not be working hard enough.

Actually, I'm working plenty hard. The first paycheck since they added Mobile sites to our responsibilities was a pleasant surprise (higher than I'd anticipated), so I'm busting tail to get my quotas up to what I need them to be, because we need every spare penny for the PA trip. I'm thinking again about renting a car (our 9-year old Nissan has been uber-reliable up until now, so I'm concerned about tempting the gods), so there's some financial finagling to be done in the coming weeks.

It's ridiculously pretty up here. My thoughts are on autumn...there's an Apple Festival in Hendersonville over Labor Day, my fingers are itching to play with the sticks and string again, and I'm wondering what shoes won't make me nutty as it turns cooler. I've LIVED in barefeet or sandals this summer, and the change in my feet is fascinating and liberating. The tops of my feet are wider, and my toes love spreading out. There's definitely some toe socks in my future. When we went hiking last Sunday, my feet were dying to get out of my sneakers by the time we were home. They weren't hurting, just itching to spread out. Weird, I know.

Have a great weekend, y'all! Get outside!

Image from here.

No comments: