Thursday, March 22, 2012

Taking Stock


Day late, dollar short...what's new?

One of those weeks where on the surface I'm ornery, because the daily grind makes me feel like life is passing me by.....but I'm actually not that discontented on the inside, because I've purchased some books and done some online research that are going to help me make better decisions and get me closer to better health and the life I want.

I'm cooking up a storm this weekend, found some great recipes that I want to try out, and started a list of dinners we've made in the past that were successful. It was larger than I thought, the list of viable meal options, and as I looked at it, I cringed to think of the money we've wasted on bad food due to laziness. I know everyone does it sometimes, but when you're a 1-income family and trying to move...just ridiculous. And then I wonder why we never get there?

I'm determined to create a meal plan weekly, so that we can get off junk/fast food for good and not be sitting on the phone when I get off work going back and forth with "I don't know, what do YOU want for dinner?" conversations. Over that with a capital O!

I'm postponing the camping trip in May, I think. Gas prices being what they are, it's not feasible, plus camping always shells out just as much dough or more than if we'd grab a hotel (food, charcoal, new tarps or tent, etc...never mind the fact that my sleeping bag has been around since junior high...). OT is drying up at work, and the next 3 months of paychecks fall at times that require belt tightening and careful spending. It's hard, this knowledge, because I want to get up there and show Les that it's feasible, when in reality I don't even know if it is...

However, I'm damn sure taking those days off in May and spending them outside, at parks, at the beach, or maybe we'll take a day trip. Can't believe it's been 5 years...

Outside: Spring in Florida, 80s with a breeze

Inside: thankfully cool enough where I can still get away with wearing my mock turtlenecks to work...

Reading: The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery, The New Organic Grower by Eliot Coleman, and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.....admittedly, Outlander falling aside in the wake of my latest homesteading urges...

Creating: ideas, meals, more "game planning" for the move...not sure what else...I'd love to do seed starts, but it's just so unfeasible. If I start something in the apartment, the cat will knock it over or eat it, and if I start them out on the porch, the GD ducks and squirrels will knock them over or destroy them within the first day...never mind the lack of pollinators because we live "in the city" and are surrounded by feral wildlife...It makes me sad to have to wait another whole year, but I'd rather wait than waste money. The knitting has fallen to the wayside too, but Cowl de Printemps should get some attention this weekend.

Going: nowhere this weekend, but SC trip probably soon.

Hoping...
We can get some real purging done this weekend. We own so. damn. much. stuff. and there comes a time when you have to look at all that crap and ask yourself, what will you ACTUALLY USE when you have a house?

Image from here.

No comments: