Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Yet Another Rally


It's ridiculous how quickly I go to seed. I've only been putting in an extra 6 to 10 hours a week at work, but between junk food and feeling scattered, I let a week go by between Y visits and my diet is abysmal again. Slept 8 dream-filled hours last night, and still looked tired in the mirror this morning.

The good news is I'm rallying. Went to the grocery store last night for a couple of things, and ended up throwing down a benjamin on mostly healthy fare. Veggies from the organic section, some salad greens, Stonyfield yogurt for dessert in the evenings instead of the godawful grazing I've been doing. Enjoyed sticker shock with the organics, but couldn't bring myself to even look at the pesticide-riddled cauliflower. Also, zucchini was on sale, but it looked lousy, and why shouldn't it? It's out of season, and what's in front of me was shipped from a hothouse in California. Not worth it...

Was thinking ahead too; we're visiting the inlaws this weekend, and their pantry is so foreign to me that I'm usually at loose ends finding food that I like. Thinking of bringing some of my own stuff up this time, so I'm not surviving on junk. They're well-rounded eaters, but the lifespan of the fridge items can be questionable.

Brought my lunch today, and planning to stay away from Starbucks; and I'm hitting the Y tonight. Been reading about the Paleo diet...interesting stuff, as a whole not for me, sounds like Atkins with organics...but I take what works for me from it, and it's got me tweaking my exercise regimen again, shorter exercise periods, more intense, interval training. I dig the concept of those Vibram Five Fingers shoes too, but I won't invest in those until I consult a podiatrist; with my flat feet, it could make my legs much stronger or make my knee arthritis much worse.

I'm not sure how I feel about gluten and dairy. I'm one of those folks who actually enjoys a glass of cow's milk, like the flavor, makes me feel strong...there's an emotional attachment, probably because I was allergic to it for the first 12 years of my life...it made me cough, which can be attributed to mucus buildup, which begs the question of whether or not I "grew" out of that allergy or just became used to its side effects. I don't have a lot of hay fever-like symptoms as an adult, thank goodness, but your average health coach would still recommend a decrease, I'm betting. I'm laying off the cheeses for now, sticking to yogurts (for the probiotics) and milk. But it's got me researching more about inflammation of the tissues, because while I bear zero symptoms of celiac or other intestinal issues, the fact remains that I've slowed my metabolism down considerably with my years of crappy diet. It's my hope that I can substitute enough bad with good to make a difference.

It's cranking into the mid-80s in FL, which means dressing lighter and actually shaving occasionally ;) I ache to get my hands in the dirt, but I really don't know if it's worth the investment right now. Anything I plant indoors would need to be sequestered from the cat, and anything I plant outdoors would need to be sequestered from the ducks. May be finally time to invest in a mini greenhouse with shelving, because I don't think I can go through this spring without planting. If you'll excuse me, I need to go hit the Home Depot/Lowe's websites.

Image from here.

No comments: