Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just Gotta Say.....

Steered clear of Starbucks on lunch break. Enjoyed an Amy's frozen meal in the sunshine outside. It's rather criminally beautiful out today; hate going back in. Not going to grab a Coke unless I'm seriously falling asleep at the keyboard later. Feeling so strong and determined! Water bottle full, and my cup runneth over...

I understand the draw of the instant gratification of sweets, and how it's compounded by our food industry helping create a metabolic disorder in my system, which then craves said sweets. So why am I able to make good, smart choices on some days and not on others? How much can be blamed on lack of willpower and how much on the addictions that I've initiated with my poor lifestyle choices? They've literally done studies that show that people eat junk food now because their brains are telling them to, because to not eat it would be depriving yourself of something. But then there's days like today, when I'm able to see that I don't need the extra calories of a frappuccino, that drinking water will be so much better for me than carbonated corn syrup, and that dessert tonight WILL be organic vanilla yogurt instead of peppermint patties (and that if I do that enough times, the "need" for dessert will evaporate as well). So maybe it's time to stop using the brain chemistry thing as an excuse, and own up to the fact that I do have the willpower within me, that I do recognize good choices vs. bad ones, so that the next time I'm facing the door of the Starbucks or the candy aisle, I'll be able to say NO. You want something like that for a treat? Drop 100 pounds first, and we'll talk.

No comments: