Thursday, March 03, 2011

Taking Stock


Not sure why I chose this pic...except of course, that I wish I had that cabinet, those quilts, and kept things that neat.....someday.....

I think part of the problem is not enough distractions. Granted, I stress kind of easily for a stress junkie; but I think I talk so much about me here because a) I spend too much time inside my own head, and b) we are childless and our comic relief is a cat with squirrel tendencies. Mom blogs are interesting, because there's always someone painting the wall with peanut butter or shoving something up their noses.

There ain't a lot of distraction in our lives right now, unless you count the overflowing apartment as a whole. I get up, putter, go to work, stare at a computer for 8 hours or so, hit the gym, stare at the home computer for a piece, putter, attempt unwinding in front of the TV and discover that I can't because I spent too much time on the computer, and then go to sleep. The only reason I'm sleeping well these days is because my bed is seriously comfortable.

It's a pretty crappy routine, as routines go; needs some action, fulfillment, sense of purpose beyond "getting us the hell out of Florida". And since I know myself enough to know I wouldn't benefit from filling my spare hours with a 2nd job or volunteering at a soup kitchen, perhaps it's time to take a look inward and see what makes my heart and brain smile. I totally believe in giving back to the community, but I also believe my volunteer hours will make more of a difference if I actually give a crap about whatever I'm volunteering for.

Slight digression: One cool thing about Florida is the growing climate; we're in zone 9A. I see a wealth of obstacles preventing me from starting seeds right now, so maybe I'll set aside that idea for later in the summer. No reason it has to occur right now, just because it's Spring; and there's plenty of other things that need my attention. I've barely scratched the surface of the apartment boxes and we just hit the 7-month mark out from the move. Les has been making the effort to help out more around the house, and it's going to help tremendously as we edge closer to October.

This will be a working weekend, and a bliss weekend; we're celebrating 12 years of marriage/puppy love/eternal commitment on Sunday. Funny how "commitment" has so many different meanings, huh? But seriously, it's kind of disgusting, how in love we still are, so I won't slobber all over the screen about it here...

Outside: Rather perfect, 70s during the day, dipping to 40s at night.

Inside: forgot my iPod again, and both the chatty annoyances next to me are working...should be an interesting afternoon, filled with silent visions of unfulfilled bloodshed...

Wearing: navy blue 3/4 sleeve T under fave shirt, a Talbots masterpiece in a gorgeous blue and green paisley; black pants, black flats...feels a little matronly, but I haven't made time yet to grab one more pair of jeans or some dress sneaks for my "summer uniform"...

Reading: Starting Kathy Reichs series over again from the beginning, because I'm bored; dipping into Sharon Astyk's A Nation of Farmers; thinking it's time for another Chamblin's run.....

Creating: Started and then frogged a scarf, ignoring UFOs...should probably grab the striped socks and work them or start another hat with sock yarn.....

Going: to Chart House for anniversary dinner.......I'm in the mood for a good steak, a decent glass of wine, and an evening chatting with my soulmate. Otherwise, turtling, cleaning, watching movies, maybe building a fort.....yes, we're in our sort-of-almost-40s, why do you ask? We don't have kids yet; who else we gonna build a fort with?

Image from here.

No comments: