Friday, September 24, 2010

Mental wanderings and a new weekend

As a writer, I get jealous of writers who make me want to stop, slow down my reading, and curl up on a favorite chair with a mug of hot chocolate and a warm sweater while I carefully devour their words and allow myself pauses while they sink into my brain.

I'm reading Eat Pray Love...saw the movie first, and it helps a bit, to imagine different scenes with Julia Roberts rather than Elizabeth Gilbert. Eat Pray Love is first and foremost a memoir with an adventure attached, and translating that into a movie required them to embellish just a touch, so now, reading the real deal, I'm struck by the difference of accompanying Elizabeth Gilbert on the journey as opposed to Julia Roberts. I'm experiencing the journey with Elizabeth Gilbert. EPL the movie was certainly warm, fuzzy, well-acted....I have no qualms with Roberts' acting, love her characters...but something didn't translate for me on the screen that is now making itself evident on the pages. For that, I'm grateful. I blew through Italy with Liz, enjoying the sensual experiences and descriptions, but now, only a page and a half into India, the experience has been turned on its ear and I find myself looking for a sweater and a mug.

This could certainly stem from my continuing search for my own faith, where my spirituality fits in amidst Reclaiming witchcraft, Buddhism, the Gospel of St. Thomas/Gnosticism, and others...whatever, I'm looking forward to the India section, and the quiet thinking time it will initiate.

So glad it's Friday...nothing huge planned, the usual mix of cleaning, baking, etc. with some Y time thrown in for good measure. Enjoy your weekend, folks!

No comments: