Thursday, July 01, 2010

So. Excited!

It's been suggested to me that it's not exactly normal to be excited about the prospect of spending 8 hours on the interstate...

What DH doesn't get is that it's not the journey, it's the destination.

We're headed to Orlando this evening to accompany my Lil Sis on her move to Charlotte. The second she got the news that the job was hers up there, I volunteered Les and I to help. Thankfully, my Lil Sis has some financial means, and recognizes when a job requires more hands. Holy-crap-thankfully, as I don't think things through before I volunteer myself for physical labor and my knees aren't crazy about the prospect of walking empty-handed up the three flights of stairs to her apartment, never mind while lugging boxes. I did OK helping Cyril move, but realistically, until I lose the damn weight, tasks like that kick my ass hard. So when she realized she really couldn't afford movers, she enlisted a brilliant concept that I can't wait to use myself...movers that only load and unload the truck. They'll show up tomorrow morning, she's picking up the UHaul tonight, and before lunchtime Friday, we'll be on our way. eeee!

I look at Charlotte as the potential city for our future. Where I can commute to a job everyday and still find a little patch of land to call our own. Where Les can go back to school, and me after him. Where we can raise a family. It's a lot to put on a city, I know; but I have big dreams that require a nice city. Sure, they have their share of crime and badness like any other place, but something about Charlotte just feels right...

So the little stinker's getting there before me...smart kid, got her Master's straight after her Bachelor's, and she's in an industry that rewards hard work and personality. Mom's hoping to move up there next April; I pray we have the savings and ability to move up in October 2011. This trip will provide some much-needed motivation toward that goal. We're staying over Friday and Saturday nights, helping her get settled and hopefully get just a taste of what the area's like, and then we'll head back Sunday....and sign our new lease and get the hell organized ourselves, for living here another year and a half. I positively ache with the thought, so my attention will be focused on making the present livable, learning to just be. Nobody said Zen/life was easy.
graphics snitched from city-data.com/charlotte

No comments: