Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Most Pleasant Surprise

image from talbots.com

I'll have real pics soon, I promise. It's been a busy couple of days, where life crowds into your original plans and you've got to roll with it. In this case, wasn't a bad thing at all. I'm still basking in the glow of good fortune, and my spirits are turning, thanks to some rather phenomenal generosity of a good friend.

My husband's family usually keeps me in clothes. I can't afford to shop...I indulge in the occasional purse, but don't do a lot of clothes shopping for myself. Looking at it now, I simply gave up as the pounds piled on, gave up on the concept of anything fitting well or offering any sort of style. I see people my size try for style and the results can be embarassing, or would be if they knew any better. I vow not to be one of those fat women who wears form-fitting stuff with seeming oblivion, so my fashion repertoire has consisted of big shirts/glorified t-shirts, pants and jeans, and not a whole lot else. And I'm usually buying on the cheap, so tailoring ain't exactly a priority. We don't have a whole lot of mirrors in the house either, so what I call tomboy style is probably closer to slob. I just didn't see the point of trying too hard to look good, when my body couldn't hide from itself.

My best-friend-since-6th-grade Christy is in Florida for 2 weeks; she resides in East Hampton normally, works for a CPA. I moved to Warren, CT, in 6th; our relationship was really cemented in 7th when Dad had his first aortic dissection and Cyril and I spent 2 weeks at her place, while Mom went back and forth to New Haven.

We met for lunch with another friend, Diana, on Saturday, talked til mid-afternoon, catching up...she's working her way toward marriage with her guy and the quest has some speed bumps. Reminds me how very lucky I am; outsiders may wonder how I have the patience for a guy who doesn't work, but the guy would walk through fire for me, and that mutual love conquers any squabbles.

We got done with lunch and decided to meander through St. Johns Town Center, the local outdoor mall...it's capitalist heaven, everything from Abercrombie & Fitch to Yogaberry...you literally can't tell we're in a recession when you walk those sidewalks. We bought shoes at Aerosoles (work for me, wedding for Diana), wandered through Coldwater Creek (love their colors!), Chico's (which has NOT changed for the better style-wise...yeesh!)...and found ourselves at Talbot's. I didn't even know they carried stuff in my size, thought it was a normal women's clothing store for the size-14-and-under crowd. Christy saw some stuff on the racks and decided I needed to try things on, this would look good on you...and she has a good eye, was finding stuff that said me, not necessarily her. I tried on blouses that were flattering and comfortable and made with such soft material, the likes of which I'd forgotten existed. She'd give me her appraising eye when I emerged from the dressing room and say, yup, we're getting that.

My cup runneth over...with tops and blouses and soft, soft highwater pants that don't make me look dumpy, and the above dress. I couldn't look at what she was spending, it made me uncomfortable, but they were insistent...I'm still flummoxed by her generosity. They're both getting thank-you cards; they tried to split the bill, but the computer balked, so it all went on Christy's card. I'm attending work this week in a haze of renewed self-esteem and self-image the likes of which I haven't enjoyed...maybe ever. I tend to get sticker shock at those types of places, but I see now that when you shop carefully, it's possible to justify the expense (and thankfully, with the exception of one blouse, everything was on sale). I really can't remember if I've ever worn clothes this comfortable before. I've found a new reason for a savings account, a terribly selfish reason that may actually work at helping me save, the desire to be able to spend X on a top or pants when I'm window shopping, because it's well made and comfortable, until we can get our credit back in shape.

This week's gonna fly by...we leave for Orlando after work on Thursday, stay overnight at Meara's, then move her to Charlotte the following day. I'm jazzed to see her new place, maybe drive around the city just a bit...it's gonna be so motivating, getting to go up there even just for the day. So excited!

No comments: