Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring to Summer

We're having a nice transitional time here in Florida this year, I guess because winter was so cold. When you live in Florida and hate it, there are only two seasons: godawful summer and not summer. So you don't appreciate the in-between times as much as you should. But while it's stretching into the 80s these days, it's not oppressive at all yet, and I find myself enjoying the warmth, the breezes, the sunshine bustin' out all over the place. Sure hope I can keep this good outlook when it's 15 degrees higher and I'm having to wear my hair up everyday. When I can still go outside at lunchtime, but I should really carry a spare deodorant in my bag. Ah, Florida.

Discussed with Husby, and we've entered reality. By some miracle, I'm not depressed by it, only hopeful and relieved. Can't force a dream if you're unable to finance it yet...period. Learn from it, store for future reference, continue moving forward. I'm a dream shark.

Spent this morning wondering and researching about finding a house to rent here, and got a lesson in the differences between Charlotte and Jacksonville. Perfectly respectable houses in Charlotte are going for at least $200 to $300 less in rent than here in Jax, and what passes for a house in Jax is laughable. I'm not a snob, but I just know I wouldn't be comfortable in a prefab, and down here, in this city, that's nearly all that's available in our price range...a decent house in a non-scary neighborhood in this area means a commute out of town to St. Augustine, Palm Coast, or some other satellite town at least 30 miles away. And we just don't have the savings anyway. So I'm through looking for places for now, and ready to concentrate on making our place liveable for another 10+ months. Having the extra time is really proving to be a relief. I know we'll get there somehow, and I'm finally recognizing the level of work required.

In the meantime, because I'm a glutton for punishment (JK), I'm applying for another management position within my company. It's in Marketing, and the first thing in ages (besides my current post) that I'm actually seriously qualified for...that all my experience in all my different jobs can play different roles for me to make that position mine. So I'm crossing my fingers for an interview, gearing up for it with note-taking about my experience/reacquianting myself with me, and possibly refilling my lithium for the next month so I can make it through said interviews without rambling incoherently or making an ass of myself. Wish me luck!

No comments: