Sunday, March 21, 2010

Winding up the weekend...


Picture explanation below...
So I'm not taking the Mods job; I'm staying in QC. Not into same pay for more stress, plus I can't stand the idea of selling anything, let alone having it determine a portion of my pay. It's just not for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure my bonus potential is better where I am (which we definitely need if we have any chance of moving this year), and the possibility of the Mods job helped me realize that I am, first and foremost, a writer and editor, so why not try to excel at that...


My boss is in the process of training our copywriters about writing for advertising. I'm too cynical to think it'll stick the way we'd like it to, but it's also helping me see ways that I can improve my own thinking and performance as an editor/potential copywriter. Nice opportunity that will hopefully help me once I'm hunting...


This has been mostly a lazy weekend, but I'm surprisingly OK with that. Yesterday I ran some errands, napped a bit, hit the library...today I sorted some bills, cleaned the kitchen, enjoyed a toothache...but I'm feeling OK with just puttering, not beating myself up for not digging into boxes or baking bread. These things need to have their own pace, just like the vegetarian lifestyle. That sure ain't going to happen overnight, but I'm still trying.


Have run into another roadblock where my planting is concerned, that has me a little worried/perplexed. Our porch is small and cluttered with a charcoal grill, an old end table, an assortment of plant pots, and the ever-present aloe that refuses to die. Actually not certain how alive the aloe still is, as this was a particularly cold winter in north FL.


So I've mentioned before that Les thought the neighborhood ducks were frequenting our porch...well, sometime between March 6th and now (because we used the grill for our anniversary dinner), they decided the old litterbox I had stashed under the end table was a safe enough spot to start a family. There's at least a dozen eggs in there. I'm delighted to be able to bear witness to nature so closely (hopefully), but worried about what will happen when/if they hatch? It'll be a couple of weeks before the ducklings get big enough to fly off the porch down to the ground. I know better than to try to move them before they hatch, as it's probable the ducks would abandon them completely and they'd die; and we're definitely not going to tell the complex, because they'd probably just call animal control and get the ducklings killed. So I'll do a little web research, and we're staying off the porch for now. I'm transplanting the seedlings tonight (indoors), and they'll go in the front window for a while. Cross your fingers that the complex employees don't notice somehow...it's unlikely, but still...and ANY advice is welcome.
Nice way to start Spring though, huh :)

No comments: