Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Living, learning...

OK, so didn't get to the plants last night...by the time my shows were on, didn't want to do anything. Mondays are the only night where I'm blessed with decent TV for a couple of hours straight though, so I should be able to get those plants started tonight. Besides, they've got to be starting to droop from being out of the light, poor things. I have the dentist today after work, so should be looking to burn off steam while avoiding dinner later....not going to want to eat while one side of my face is numb.

Steamer just ain't worth the effort on rice. Plugged that sucker in last night all jazzed to cook up a little stir fry, and ended up eating the veggies by themselves, because the rice wasn't cooked 2 hours later. However I boiled said rice afterward, tending carefully to the heat, and managed to keep it from burning and retain the flavor. So I just need to exercise a little patience on the burner, and maybe soak the grains beforehand? I know, I know, rice cooker...but why buy a new appliance if a standard pot will work with a little effort...

Stir fry and Tex Mex will get old quick though, so I'm educating myself on recipes this week, studying how to cook stuff like quinoa, tofu, and groats properly so I don't screw up their flavor the first time out. Good thing too, as I'm finding online advice that's helpful, like how quinoa has a bitter outer layer that should get soaked off first. And learning as I go, as the strange smell that's been permeating the apartment is likely the broccoli that was left in the fridge for a week in an open bag...it was still in perfect shape when I cooked most of it last night, but it gives off a gas, hence why you see people selling those green produce bags on TV that I tend to poo-poo as another money-making gimmick. Research, research...

Funny how I'm craving healthy now when I slip though...didn't make time to pull together meals yesterday before work and paid for it in an interesting fashion. Lunchtime rolled around and I had no desire to hit fast food at all, which left me at loose ends. I grabbed a frappuccino instead and it kept me from being hungry all afternoon (I would think so, since we're talking about nearly 500 calories of sugar water), but I was roaring for some real food by end of day and it had to be healthy. So I chopped up veggies, started the rice. I'm determined to steer clear of meat and I'm going to keep reading the propaganda until I feel the same way about eggs. Until I have my own chickens, that is.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

Read the bag of rice. There may be an alternate recipe which eliminates the burn factor. Cook it in way too much water, which you then pour off.

If you like curry, I can send a good tofu recipe, too.

As for eggs, look for a local source. I looked at the grocery store, and cage-free eggs were $3.89, as compared to $4 from a local farmer. Actually, a family with chickens in a shed in their yard.