Monday, March 15, 2010

Full of Promise.....Monday?!

Damn Spring fever...engaging rambling post...NOW!

Seriously gorgeous weather burst forth this past weekend...sunny and 60s with a stiff breeze. I went to Home Depot to look around and ended up buying a couple of seedlings (tomatoes, red bell peppers, and flat parsley) and then going next door to Target for the rest...potting soil, peat planters, and herb seeds: cat grass, chamomile, marjoram, basil, and rosemary. So the Growing Challenge tag is back up on the ole blog...feel free to check her out.

I wasn't even going to plant this year, was going to use the move (::crosses fingers::) as an excuse not to bother. I'm even starting out with a pretty significant handicap, as I don't trust the cat to leave the stuff alone while I'm babying it initially, and we recently discovered that the neighborhood ducks had flown up to our porch to dig into the leftovers from last year. But gardening means coping with all kinds of wildlife, so I may as well start learning to adapt. I just couldn't stay away from it this year, not with the serious case of Barnheart that's been fueling my current reading and eating choices.

I'm glad I'm rallying, because the weekend feels like a wash...though naturally, I'm being too hard on myself. I worked 5 hours Saturday to make up some of the time from last week's excursions. Plus, was a pinch hungover Saturday from slamming a couple of beers at Mom's...I won a contest where a guy comes over to your house, cooks you dinner, and then tries to sell you exorbitantly high-priced cookware. I'll be more careful what contests I enter at Southern Women's Show in the future. It was pleasant enough, but pretty unnecessary...we had it at Mom's because her place is much nicer than ours, and she invited some really sweet neighbors, so the evening was pleasant enough, but still...yeesh!

So got home from work Saturday, imbibed a ridiculous amount of greasy fast food to get rid of rest of hangover, and crashed for a couple of hours. Les's diverticulitis is taking its sweet time leaving his system, so he was down for the count all weekend. Sunday I puttered, did most of the laundry, ignored the kitchen and dining room, and purchased the aforementioned planting supplies, but then couldn't bring myself to do anything with them. I know I need time on the weekends to chill, especially after last week, but it's frustrating when I rally on Monday and can't address half the stuff that didn't get hit on the weekend, because I'm buried in work (tangent: work that is very frustrating of late and punctuates the clusterf*ck organization that has evolved at my place of business). Doing all that laundry aggravated my groin area...the site's healed fine, but it's twingy down there, which just ain't natural for us ladies IMHO, and means I can't sit still at work today, because my undies land right at the wrong spot. Whinewhinewhine...

When I'm like this, slightly depressed and ornery, good nutrition and apartment cleanliness take a backseat...which only makes me ornerier. As the fast food slip will attest, when there's money in the bank and no planning has occurred, it's of course easier to revert back to yucky habits. Now granted, I did feel worlds better after Saturday's nap, and I gave thought to smart food before hitting up the Burger King for grub, but I am seeing how lazy it is. How I need to lay off the booze entirely while I'm trying to drop weight and get healthy. How important it is to educate myself on recipes, so I can throw good food together as easily as I throw together the bad stuff. I tried on Saturday night, cooked some brown rice to have with leftover (Greenwise) chicken, but it was a disaster, because I'm not used to cooking rice yet. We inherited a steamer from Mom, and it's coming out of the cabinet for good now, because I'm really sick of destroying rice because I can't get a handle on the heat. Besides, the best brown rice IMO is from PF Chang's and I'm pretty sure all they do is steam it. It may take longer, but the flavor is exquisite.

So...tonight, start my plants and clean the kitchen. This week, I hope to dig into the dining area in the evenings, continue educating myself on recipes, and staying off the meat. Should be a bit easier this week, because Les's diet is significantly modified while he's recovering, so I can indulge in my own meals.

No comments: