Monday, March 29, 2010

The horror

No pics for awhile :( My home computer caught a virus on Saturday.

::sigh::

I've consulted with a guy at work whom I trust, and his advice is that we're going to lose everything. We'll be able to have what we started with, but won't be able to save anything we've added. For Les, this may only mean losing a game that he uploaded from the Web. For me, the loss is significantly greater, as I'm a tool and never backed up my photos (oh, so THAT's why everyone uses Flickr!), and I'll lose iTunes. The good news is I can try something myself to restore it, and hopefully bypass shelling out more than $100 to some store to do it. GeekSquad wanted $199, the bastards...think I've lost a little respect for them, especially if resetting the system is as easy as my work contact says. CompUSA wanted less than that, but I'm sure neither place can give a guarantee that they'll retrieve our stuff, so why shell it out? Discussing with Husby tonight...

I'm feeling rather zen about it. I won't lie...not being able to jump on the sucker on Sunday gave me the DTs, but being back at work is helping. How sad is that. I'll never be one to shun technology, far from it, but I can't help wondering if the Waldorfers who are so proud of themselves for keeping the TV in a closet, how they'd react to losing their iTunes...just sayin'...

The big hurt is losing my photos, everything from Dad's memorial and Nanie's funeral trips, our anniversary trip last year, SC shots. I've bounced some good ones of those to FB in the past, and I'm realizing that I have my memories of those times, and it's helping. I was pretty drunk at Dad's stuff, but I'll always remember how beautiful his wood box looked next to their wedding picture, and Nanie's funeral memories will always be laden in that amazing snowstorm that hit as we were leaving the church.

Anyway, I was lost without it (the computer) yesterday, and that pisses me off, because it's not like I would've spent the day doing constructive stuff on it, like writing letters of intent or educating myself on real estate agencies in NC. No, more likely I'd have been reading blogs, goofing off on FB...and it gets me thinking about what's important, why I haven't been knitting, why I'm so restless when I have such obvious means of entertainment and energy dispersal other than the computer at my disposal (my chairload of library books, a houseful of crap, etc.). I did get quite a bit done on Saturday, threw out some stuff, organized some boxes...the cruelest irony was unearthing my CDs...the reason we caught the virus was because yours truly was trolling online for song lyrics to update all the no-name entries in my iTunes, and I just happened to hit the wrong website. Ten-plus years of working on computers and I'm still dumb as a bag of hammers about them. But what can you do...I set the CDs aside, and I look forward to adding them to my iPod when the system's restored. Like I said, rather maddeningly zen about it. It's all just stuff.

This post from Farmgirl Fare is just a delightful reminder of Spring and a touch of zen.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

There must be a way to load the stuff ON your iPod back ONTO your computer. As for photos, thanks for the reminder to burn a backup disc.