Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another day, another...

Andie: "Are you going to class today?"
Duckie: "I don't know, you know, I don't think I'm emotionally ready."
Andie: "Oh, go for it; it's virtually painless."

Paraphrased from Pretty in Pink

An homage to the departed John Hughes and a veiled explanation for why I wasn't at work yesterday. Sans lithium, there are mornings where you just know you'll be shredding yourself, and leaving a tiny piece of yourself at work if you go, and it's not a piece you're willing to lose. Unfortunately, there will never come a time when you can say that to an employer, so I went with "under the weather". Close enough. I enjoyed a "Joan of Arcadia" marathon on the newly minted Syfy (geez, that's lame...seriously, what was the point of that switch?), plowed through Kathy Reichs' Devil Bones, and made a slightly strange, but tasty dinner, also paraphrased, from the back of a Stove Top stuffing box.

I'm thinking my future kids will never know true Waldorf; I'm just too plugged in. Was blowing my day in front of the tube yesterday and wishing that I had a laptop, so I could log onto Facebook without missing my show. Pitiful.

Zen Radio repeats itself frequently, but when you're listening to it at work, not everything's sinking in at once, so I'm enjoying the repetitiveness. I haven't dedicated myself to daily zazen in the true sense yet...unfortunately the draw of the PS2 has been taking my free time still. But I'm more mindful while eating and doing daily tasks, so I'm heartened that, ever so slowly, I can integrate these teachings into my life.

Not enough happening at the house lately...my work table has piled up nicely again. I hope to tackle that soon, purge a box or three. I'm also trying to be more cognizant of what we eat, but boy, is it tough to modify your diet when you've gotten used to grab-and-go and too much fast food...

Went to the eye doc Saturday, where I enjoyed the news that a) my nearsightedness had gotten better, which was the cause of my focus issues on the computer, b) I've started the 40-something astigmatism a month early, and c) I could be looking at a future of both contacts and reading glasses because astigmatic contacts in my strong nearsighted prescription run about $600 a pop. I'm not amused. Treated myself to new glasses, so that I can wear them to work occasionally without them sending me 'round the bend hopefully (my current pair don't fit right, too loose and won't hold their shape)....and the contacts/reading glasses thing isn't in the near future yet, so I'm reconciling myself to the concept. Still...and I should be seeing the opthalmologist every 6 months for the lattice degeneration ::hangs head in shame::, because that's something you won't know has degenerated until it's almost too late, so I'm sucking it up and making an appointment, as soon as I can find the paperwork to remind myself who the heck I saw last year. That was a really unpleasant appointment...he shoved little things like matchsticks farther into the sides around my eyeball than any implement should have to go.....so I blew off the idea of the appointment 6 months ago, but since we really do only have one set of eyes, and I kind of like mine, I'll be a good camper and exercise diligence with them from now on. Lattice degeneration (my explanation based on what the doc told me) is where you develop stretch marks on the outside of your eyeball, but that means your cornea is thinner in those areas, so there's danger of corneal tears or retinal detachment. I call them stretch marks, because that's literally what they looked like the couple of times they obstructed my vision...it was like I had a stretch mark in my vision field. Weird and scary...thankfully, haven't had those in over a year. Doesn't mean the ole corneas ain't still stretching though. Promise I'll do better.

No comments: