Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Losing my dining room

Signs it's time to move...when the apartment starts falling apart around you...

The walk-in closet passed away again. The lovely maintenance man (read: brain-dead reject with middle school education and no concept of physics) who repaired it last time didn't bother to a) ensure he was rehanging the hardware on studs, or b) reinforce or replace the drywall where it had previously been attached. I was burning off steam on the computer in the main room last night when a rather tremendous crash sounded from somewhere inside the house. Baffled, I investigated and discovered the entire contents of our closet had fallen south. Thank the gods the cat hadn't been napping in there (she does, rather often), she could've been crushed. I almost panicked, but then checked the other place she's been frequenting lately (a cute hideyhole on the bottom shelf of Husby's hutch, on top of his clothes) and there she was gazing at me with those green eyes and this look on her face like "what just woke me?"

The rest of my evenings this week will be spent pulling stuff out, folding clothes, and finding places for everything, before we can even think of calling maintenance to fix it. Maybe I won't bother...I could probably do a better job creating a solution for it than they could. We're also going to have to give the place a decent cleaning and get rid of all the recycling if we call them, because they've admonished us once before for the clutter. And we're not even that bad! I've seen worse, slept in worse, and given the clientele that populates my neighborhood, I can guarantee we're not the worst. Not the point certainly, but still...

Thank goodness I have a free weekend coming up, nothing serious planned. Work got seriously busy for me on Monday; they fired my boss :( So we're behind on tasks, short on leadership, leaning heavy on OT, and expected to maintain perfection with seriously limited resources. I won't even start bitching about how they hold us accountable for things they shouldn't (like thinking we're falling down on the job because there are errors on sites, when it's evident the client has already had their grubby little hands on it, so it's not our fault...). Glancing at my W2 was interesting, because I made OK money last year, but the current shift and the closet issue have my wheels turning again about where I want us to be 6 months from now, a year from now...

1 comment:

Alexa said...

Re the closet: How about one of those portable closet rod jobbies you see at functions on occasion?