Thursday, June 19, 2008

Stuff

After a year, Dad being gone doesn't necessary slice into my heart first thing in the morning when I wake up anymore...it's more subtle. My first site at work this morning was for an electrical engineering firm in Millinocket, Maine...there must be papermills up there, because I remember Dad talking about Millinocket as part of his territory. Adding insult to injury, the company name was the Cyr Group, which reminds me of Cyril and proves a) that I'm just not cut out to cut someone out of my life completely, don't have it in me to write someone off , and b) it is possible to miss someone and love them and still want to punch them square in the face.

Lovely, stress-free thoughts for a Thursday morning...

In spite of that, I've been in a good place lately...probably irritatingly cheery to those around me, but I'm not complaining. If I'm bipolar at all, it's mild...I don't have serious insomnia or find myself scrubbing the floor at 3 a.m. But I'm definitely on an upswing lately; work is ok, home is a big warm fuzzy, the stuff I'm growing is actually green, the cat's healthy, the car still works. I try not to take stuff for granted, but it's just as important to occasionally look around and be thankful, especially when things deep down are actually quite hard. Hurricane season means the barometer makes Husby's headaches more constant, which makes it harder for him to look for work, and our financial sitch is scary. But you get up in the mornings, feel the breeze on your face, and press on...

Hemmed one of my skirts last night for the wedding Saturday...didn't want to cut off the excess material even though it was 7 inches too long, so I just hemmed it, and it came out surprisingly good. Main knitting lately is a baby cardigan in white Encore in a basketweave pattern. Tomatoes coming along nicely, but I definitely need to thin them in the next day or three, or else they'll start tangling...

2 comments:

Alexa said...

I will be so peaved if you get tomato plants before me. But at least hurricane season isn't as serious in Massachusetts (unless you're a rich SOB with waterfront property on "the islands."

I hear you on the Cyril front. I'm at a point like that with my dad. Humbug. Email directly, or call, to discuss, if you feel it would be cathartic.

Alexa said...

Slight typo there. I will be peaved if you get actual TOMATOES before me. My plants are already a foot high, but no flowers yet.