Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Why did I open this entry?

Ortho appointment was ok...I'm trying not to be pessimistic about it. Because I haven't had a significant amount of pain yet with my knee, more inconvenience with the stiffness and pressure, when the doc starts to talk about arthroscopic surgery, I have to bite back my feeling that he's a scalpel jockey and tries to solve all his patient's problems with surgery. And of course, that's not the case...this outfit's sizeable, with their own imaging centers and 6 rehab facilities throughout the city, including one close to my work. I scheduled a PT eval for next week, and had an MRI this morning, and will know more in a week or so. He says I'm a good candidate for surgery at this stage, and I'm inclined to agree, mainly because I want so badly to be healthy on as many levels as possible before there's a small person growing inside of me.

The good news is, no indications of arthritis in either knee! Given the estimation that you put twice your weight on your knees climbing stairs, and 6 times your weight on them going down stairs, I call the appearance of cartilage still in both knees a minor miracle. Serious motivator to lose some weight...I mean, 6 times your weight!? We're getting into holy shit numbers there!

No comments: