Monday, September 18, 2006

Better late than never

I think I've just broken all previous records for late-bloomerism...

When my friend Missy was in her senior year of high school, she decided to drop some weight, and did so by eating healthier, exercising more, and switching out soda for flavored seltzer water. I couldn't wrap my mind around the seltzer water concept at the time, because at the time, I was in training to become the sugar mainliner you all know and love.

So with this walk coming up on 1 month away, and no pounds off my everwidening ass yet, I took a look at my eating habits this past weekend so that I could make some changes. Like no more ice cream ::pause for moment of silence:: and supplementing Slim-Fast here and there (nothing drastic; more a necessity because I have that in my cabinet, we're low on dough til Friday, and there's a dearth of decent food in the house). I've learned how to drink water in recent years thankfully, but it gets old fast, and I find it only makes me thirstier when it's all I drink in the afternoons.

So I'm ambling through the local Publix at lunchtime, searching unsuccessfully for Diet Coke with Splenda (the other pain in the ass of my body—an allergy to aspartame, which is still widely used in diet products), and I come across the flavored seltzer water. It's been ages since I've tried any, it's dirt cheap ($.69 for a 2-liter!) and lord knows I need a change. I'm reminded of Missy, and grab a bottle.

Sonofabitch...it doesn't suck! Not bad at all, in fact. Are my taste buds maturing? Lord knows the rest of me is. I'm a little baffled......no, make that blown away......... that it's taken me the better part of 20 years to discover this stuff. Ridiculous, I know, and barely noteworthy; but with me, it's the little things :)

No comments: