Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I hate my downstairs neighbor

When I can feel the stress through all the medication I'm currently on, you know it's serious.

We're being threatened with eviction.

What precipitated this? The straw to break the camel's back? I got up in the middle of the night to use the john. She banged on the ceiling. I went back to sleep.

The next afternoon, we had the notice on the door, signed by her, of our 7-day notice to cure. As in, don't make noise for the next 12 months, or we'll put forth efforts to evict.

I haven't walked heel-toe in our apartment since we started getting those passive-aggressive letters from her a week ago. I tiptoe to the john after 10 p.m., the animals (well, Figaro) aren't allowed in the bedroom after 10, and we're walking on eggshells when we know she's home. This is no way to live.

The only thing we can think, is that it's the bed. We have the noisiest box spring on the planet. When you get up from that bed, you announce yourself. I'm wondering if we could put a sheet of plywood between the mattress and the box spring to remedy the situation, but you know what? I shouldn't have to. We're not playing the TV or stereo loud after 10, we're not having sex at all hours (well, yeah, ok, at all...), and we don't bang unreasonably up and down the stairs. If the problem is our box spring, does this mean we can't have sex after 10 p.m.? Have to move it to the living room? Yeah, like I'm going to take her feelings into consideration at all if Les gets a wild hair and decides to mate?

The way the notice reads, we could be threatened with eviction for the next 12 months if we accidentally trip over the furniture and wake her ass up. That's 8 more months of our lease and living in a hostile environment. I don't think so.

We're trying to get an appointment with the GM of the complex. I pray we won't have her (the bitch) in the same room when we're explaining our side, because I feel about as rational toward her as I do toward my local sister-in-law right now, who was kind enough to threaten my folks with legal action for money they and my brother didn't owe her. They caved to get her off their backs; I withdrew from all Mandarin Circle yahoo groups that night. I'm done with her. She made my mommie cry.

I can't remember the last time I felt this level of stress. I'm transitioning meds so it was bound to happen. I napped after work yesterday to catch up from the night before and got decent sleep last night in spite of her, so today's going better. Still, I'm dreaming of SC, and we're thinking of leaving Les up there past Labor Day so he can look for work. We'll see.....

No comments: