Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Murphy


graphic courtesy of www.kohls.com

Dontcha love when you've had your eye on a pair of shoes for a while, you finally find a way to purchase them, you put them on right away to break them in (say, at work), and discover they make a borderline embarassing noise when you walk.....

I've been dying for a new pair of dress sneaks, like Keds but for people who wear more than a frickin' A width. Something to wear with jeans or capris--I can get away with being way casual at my work, and I've always been a comfort over fashion kind of gal anyway.

So today I had to dress up because Google was in town (yes, THAT Google!), and my pantyhose self-destructed upon dressing this morning, so I threw on my brown Skecher heels bare-legged and raced to work. Didn't have time to buy fresh hose on the way in. However there's no full-length mirror in my house, so it wasn't until I got to work and caught a glimpse of myself in the window that I noticed just how much those Skechers destroyed an otherwise classy outfit. Great, an entire day of compounded self-image issues!

Not if I can help it. Since my need to impress people ended at lunchtime, I scooted over to Kohl's on my break and hunted for something in the footwear department that wouldn't have me feeling like crap about myself the rest of the day. Yes folks, sometimes stuff like this is necessary. I don't do it often, but we're close to payday, and today I got lucky and found the dress sneaks that I've had my eye on since Spring first poked its green head up around here, which is oh, I don't know, mid-February. They're perfect for days when I don't feel like wearing my platforms with my capris.

I get back to work, change shoes, and go back to plunking away at Mods. Get up later for a pee break and notice it immediately. Plop, plop, plop, plop....what the hell is that? I check the soles back at my desk, but there's no loose spots; everything seems intact. Must be my orthotics. I take them out, work some more. Get up for a Coke break...plop, plop, plop, plop......sonofa...the damn things announce me as I'm coming down the hall. I think fast for a one-liner in case anybody comments, egotist that I am ("hey, I'm no shrinking violet, you're just jealous because your shoes don't talk."). Upon returning to my desk, I investigate further, and I'm pretty sure that if I wear socks and/or break the canvas in further, that sound should dissipate. It's the snap of new canvas at the toe. Still, while I'm more comfortable wearing them the rest of the day, their usefulness with regard to remedying the original issue has definitely been called into question.

Y'all check out the lace patterns on www.knitpicks.com? I'm looking forward to getting done with the baby stuff; definitely ready to finish the SSS and try my hand at some feather and fan.

2 comments:

Dreadhead Red said...

LMAO! I am all to familiar with those days. :O)

Dreadhead Red said...

and I don't know how to spell "too" half the time