Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Superfluous vent

Knowing's half the battle, right?

Given: Melanie watches too much TV

Thought I'd get that out of the way. Thus it stands to reason that Melanie pays too much attention to what goes on on TV too. Like the networks unveiling their fall schedules this week. Who pays attention to that besides teenagers and closet cases? Ah well...

Given how terrific Grey's Anatomy was last night, I was thinking how I'd like to get into watching it again. I've only seen like, half a handful of episodes since it started this year, because of one or another distractions and then later in the season, Big Love on HBO (strange, neat character drama about polygamists). But last night's finale, even with me flipping back and forth to catch Everwood (which'll be the subject of a separate vent in a sec), was rather exquisite TV, full of emotion, nicely written. Big Love's finishing up soon and will go away for a while, so I'll have my 10 o'clock block on Sunday free.

As quickly as I was able to think that, they put out the ABC schedule this morning with the announcement that they're moving Grey's in the fall to, you guessed it, Thursdays at 9. Thursdays at 9, I'm usually driving across the street to hang with my bitches, or heading home from knitting, which is about a 20-minute trip. No biggie, you'd think, that's why God invented VCRs. Except NBC released their schedule Monday with the announcement that Studio 60, the new drama with Matthew Perry and Bradley (sigh!) Whitford would be shown in the fall, yup, say it with me, Thursdays at 9!

shit.

And don't get me started about the rumor Michael Ausiello was kind enough to impart on we Everwood fans to soften the blow: that he has it from 2 reliable sources that the CW isn't planning to carry Everwood over in the fall. They're renewing the dead horse 7th Heaven to give themselves a good start, but 86ing the best damn family drama on television in the process. Can we say, cutting off nose to spite face? That kind of stuff makes me crazy, like when CBS 86d Joan of Arcadia, but brought Ghost Whisperer in the next year. Joan of Arcadia had a phenomenal ensemble cast, but in the world of money and ratings, it gets bagged in favor of Jennifer Love Hewitt's face.

So mind's wandering a bit today, if you haven't noticed. And I've certainly punctuated to my handful of readers the distinct lack of life I currently have. Think the coffee finally kicked in though.

3 comments:

ruthee... said...

You forgot to mention that you *really* use your TV watching to support debates.

Lynn said...

Mel...step away from the box.

Dreadhead Red said...

Mel, you have got to talk to Tom. You actually know about this stuff he tries to talk about with me. I try to pay attention but listening to someone talk about TV is more difficult than trying to pay attention to what is happening on the tube. I enjoy my time on cloud 9 way too much to come to earth very often.