Thursday, August 11, 2005

Musings

So a day or two after my KUI, I take out mr. sock for a look, and sure enough, he's longer and doesn't look half bad. I mean, considering I've had it a month, I should have more than 4 freakin' inches on him, but I'm a sporadic knitter, and like I said, I've been wild about Harry for a coupla weeks now.

So I have that purple poncho on the needles, which I'm hoping to add to with this next payday. It's Lion Brand Homespun in Gothic, this really excellent purple, and even though I've discovered the horrific shedding that is Homespun, it's worth it for how soft and fun the yarn is. How they can make baby blanket patterns for Homespun is beyond me; I'd think the danger of choking would be significant. Anyway, then there's the Galway hat; our resident yarn knotzi, Teresa, had 1 skein of this lovely heather grey from the discount bin at the LYS where she works. I didn't want to do another scarf right then, so I found this cute hat pattern, which I've made even cuter through design flaws, err.. features. And getting used to DPNs with mr. sock made it SO much easier to transfer the hat from circular to DPNs to start the decreasing.

See, now I'm in the mood to knit and I didn't bring anything, but that's wise because tonight's Knitting Bitches, and my attention span's hard enough to keep without burning out early by knitting during the day. Been having what I call "delusions of aptitude" again; it's where you're a person who thinks stockinette is challenging, but you look at a lace shawl and say, oh yeah, I could make that. There's a cardigan on Knitty that I'd love to try for my first sweater attempt, but that whole yarn-costs-money thing keeps getting in the way.

The other thing on the needles right now is a shawl from the Lion Brand site. It's an easy 4-row pattern that I'm having fun with; I'm just not crazy about the yarn I'm using--it's Red Heart 110% acrylic crap. It's not soft, it's quite rough, in fact, and it's got that irritating squeak that a pal mentioned is common with the cheap-ass acrylics. But it's burgundy, which is a color that works for me. I tried to start the ChooChoo pattern 2 or 3 times on that yarn before giving up, because for that pattern, I'd rather have a yarn I actually like. Ooo, maybe Rowan; discovered that just yesterday. Fairly expensive, but Judge K's shop has it in stock. Hmmmm......

::sigh:: to be independently wealthy ... hell, I'd settle for covering the bills every month.

No comments: