Tuesday, August 09, 2005

KUI

I've barely picked up the needles for almost 2 weeks now, because I read the latest Harry Potter and that motivated me, once I'd wiped away the tears, to start over from the beginning of the series. I've only been knitting for.....about 9 months, I think, so I don't consider myself coordinated enough to pull off knitting and reading at the same time, so something had to suffer. This was fine for 1 project, a purple Homespun poncho, because money has been desperately tight of late and I finished the first skein on that one. The rest of my UFOs though, were withering from neglect.

This past weekend wasn't even a weekend; it was a test of patience. Between having the phone turned off, schlepping our clothes to the local coin laundry because our apartment complex was having equipment issues, and discovering that the car needed a new alternator, it wasn't a recipe for relaxation. So I get home from work Monday after a truly boring day in front of the computer and bypass the tea and Coke in favor of beer to wind down. I pick up mr. sock, who's my first attempt at this article of clothing and has been giving me micro-guilt trips from inside Alexa's bag for the last 2 weeks, and get to work. Two hours later, I'm feeling no pain, and I have at least another 2 inches done! I was in the zone, because I'd had to pull out a wad of yarn from the sock's butt to keep it from getting tangled, and when that happens, I'd rather knit my way through it than have to wind it around the skein when I take a break. I only added a stitch like, twice; otherwise, it's coming along really nice. So while I wouldn't necessarily advocate or recommend KUI, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the outcome wasn't a disaster.

No comments: