Friday, August 12, 2005

Evil patterns and amateur knitters

So I'm knitting away on my grey hat at Bitches last night, listening to the convo and feeling better than I have all week, when I decide to count my stitches and see how the decreasing is coming along. I've been following the pattern pretty carefully--k13, k2tog, * for a round, then knit for a round, then k12, k2tog, *, etc...yeah, well, I must not be the best counter or that quarter that I knit when I should have decreased is really haunting me, because I check my stitches and it's like, 17, 18, 19, and 26. Sigh. So it's time to ignore the pattern a little and get some k2togs going on the 26 side to even things out a bit. But I've already been at this for a while and it's starting to frustrate me, so after 1 more round, the hat goes into my bag for a rest.

The gang makes fun of me for switching projects so often; I say I just thrive on variety. I don't consider myself to be ADD, but this hobby is a learning effort in progress, and if I get frustrated or bored with something, I like to have something else at the ready to chill me out and give me a different perspective. I'm currently working a garter stitch poncho on 10½s, a garter stitch hat on 7 dpns, a k1p1 rib sock on 2.75 dpns, and a 4-row lace pattern shawl on circulars. Harder to get bored when everything's just a little bit different.

So I did like, a row and a half of sock, realized I'd had enough of dpns for the night, and switched to the shawl. It's a fun pattern, makes up for the fact that I can't stand the yarn I'm building it with.

No comments: