Friday, February 01, 2013

Snow!



 
I stepped outside this morning and carefully skated around the driveway with the camera. The air was bitingly chill, and my wet hair turned crunchy as I snapped away. I was grateful for my stronger legs and my lug-soled boots, because the driveway was icing over rather than melting, but it also reminded me how much work I still have to do (getting into shape), because if I did take a tumble (with my knees), I would be in a world of hurt.
 
My everything aches today anyway, because I did get outside yesterday! Websites dried up around 2PM, so I put on a sweatshirt, old sneaks, grabbed my gardening tools, and got my hiney out there. I crawled all over the front patch, clipping saplings and overgrowth. So glad I did, because it helped me really assess how planting might go in that area, and what areas I'll give up on and just mulch. I was hoping to clear out ALL saplings, but a couple of them were large enough where I didn't have the heart or the tools to clip 'em. I took pictures of the area, to catalog where the sun hits mid-afternoon, but I'm thinking it's gonna be a whole different story once that main tree buds and blooms. I may end up doing a bunch more container gardening than I originally thought, simply because the raised bed areas that I have laid out in my head won't get enough sun. Glad I'm checking this stuff out now.
 
Also transplanted the aloe FINALLY! Good thing too, because if the soil was any indication, that sucker was not long for this world...had a rotten smell when I took it out and broke it down. I ended up tossing 2/3rds of the plant and all the soil. But I did get a bunch of babies into new soil, which now sits in the light of the 2nd bedroom windows, and will hopefully rally.
 
Roads still look icy, but the snow's melting, so my car has icicles on the bumpers. Don't see the novelty of my new climate wearing off anytime soon. Hard to mind being homebound, when you have a full pantry and such a beautiful area to live in.
 
Have a great weekend, y'all!

No comments: