Thursday, August 23, 2012

Taking Stock


Sometimes it's a good thing that money is tight. I'm having an early autumn jones lately, and these boots above (as well as these) are on my list of potential purchases, if I can't wrangle them out of family members as birthday pressies next month. Patience, Melanie...

Been quiet again...work is work, we're traveling this weekend, and I'm stressing because the company stock is taking a dip right when I'd like to be liquidating it and getting a move on this move.

Outside: not-quite August, that's for sure...enjoying a week of overcast that has brought with it an almost-cool to the air...

Inside: sharing room with 3 copywriters...thank goodness they're quiet workers!

Wearing: cuffed jeans and clogs because I'm just that stylin'...

Creating: nada...I have ideas for knitting a winter set (scarf, hat, fingerless gloves) out of the Ireland yarn, but have yet to cast anything on.

Reading: Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs and the September Vogue

Going: SC tomorrow for the weekend...Labor Day weekend will be spent purging apartment.

Hoping...
I have some days off coming up for this trip and Labor Day weekend, and I don't intend to waste 'em...this weekend will be relaxing, visiting, and doing laundry, but next weekend...I need to start making lists.

Stuff rolling around the ole brainpan....
I've been enjoying The Mentalist on repeats this summer, and last night, I realized something...I relate to Simon Baker's character, because he tends to say what he's thinking without appearing to give it enough thought first. I do that too (thank you, lackolithium), just enough for it to keep me from getting supervisor posts at my company. But the difference is that he does it to gauge people's reactions to what he's saying, because he's a people watcher and profiler, and their reactions help narrow down suspects in an investigation. I do it because of this subconscious need for the people around me to live as authentically as I've decided to live. But most folks need a level of deception in their lives, whether it's office politics or family secrets, and so my way of communicating becomes off-putting. If I can study my communication and learn to measure what I say when I say it, I may not come off as brusque as I actually am....and I'll still be living authentically. So that's my new area of study...cuz I'd like to make some friends when we move, without having to apologize for how I speak...

Have a great weekend, y'all! Be safe!

Image from here.

No comments: