Monday, September 13, 2010

Autumnal mental wanderings


Snitched from the University of Illinois Urban Extension...

10 days til autumn.....I can feel it stirring in my belly somewhere, the desire to try canning food and making applesauce in the crockpot, the desire to purge crap from the house, batten down the hatches, so-to-speak, for winter prep...I want to get baking again. I wish there was firewood to chop. I wish it was cool enough for longer sleeves. Ah well, Jenna's posts keep me happy and dreaming...I farm vicariously through her.

That leaf was from the crape myrtles in front of the building. I'm surprised to find they're changing color this year, and it makes me smile, even when the heat index still threatens to suck my energy dry...damn index was above 100F both days this weekend, so I didn't even bother to go outside on Sunday. I hate that, especially when the outdoors opens me up like a flower, makes me feel more alive...and besides, the porch needs a good cleaning...

I haven't been taking pictures still (obviously)...my apartment is a pit with very little to show off, so I have to search for worthy subjects. I mean, how many shots can I take of my purses, my knitting, and an aloof black cat? Going to make more of an effort...

The weekend slipped away from me as usual, but I did start one very important project: budgeting. It's opened my eyes to how our money gets pissed away (FINALLY!), and some changes are on the horizon.

In spite of the heat, the tiny inklings of autumn begin to sneak in down here...the shock and happiness when our team (Jacksonville Jags) actually won their home opener, for example :) Also, we discovered when they updated our digital cable recently, that we now receive the NFL All-Access channel...it's pretty sweet, and we were both flipping back and forth to it yesterday to see how the first week of the season played out.

My boss flew the coop, and the team manager job will be posted again soon. I'm thinking of trying for it just for the experience...I know I'm not exactly what they're looking for, but I want the experience of trying for it...my marketing interview was a disaster, and I could use another shot at selling myself.

Meantime, I hope to steer clear of the computer in the evenings, get some more organizing started around the house, get knitting again, and be good to myself. Not necessarily in that order.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I hope it gets cooler over there soon so you can start the baking :) I am very happy for the current temperatures here which have gotten me into autumn mood. I have already started my autumn cleaning/getting rid of stuff/moving furniture around period.