Monday, August 09, 2010

Someday I'll remember pictures before posting...

Today ain't it.

Swimming is a VERY sneaky workout. Feels completely easy on your body while you're doing it. Saturday morning, I hit the Y and pulled off 20 laps. Admittedly, it's a junior Olympic pool (half the size of full Olympic - 25 meters), and I was gasping for breath after each lap at first...but the swimming itself was like riding a bike. I was back in college, in that class I took for the sheer hell of it because I had the free time that year. I grew up not knowing much beyond regular Australian crawl...the college course added side stroke, back stroke, breast stroke, and diving to my repertoire...yes, I didn't dive until I was in my 20s. Can't dive at the Y, as it's strictly a lap pool, but I plowed through those 20 laps and each one got a little easier as I remembered how to regulate my breathing and concentrate on the economy of my movement.

Sunday I had hoped to tuck into the dining room a bit more...instead I could barely move my arms. Holy crap, the muscles that worked on that swim!

I feel beyond fantastic though, and I'm wearing a belt for the first time in about 10 years, to hold up my pants, so things are definitely changing for the better. I'm creating a schedule for myself for working out and sticking to it. I still need to make modifications to my diet, but I've already become much more cognizant of what goes into my body, so it's more about controlling emotional eating.

So the rest of this weekend was for resting. I knit on the MIL socks, my cardi, and my pullover, read a little...I'm in the middle of Farmer Boy (my fave of the Little House books), which I'm hoping will put me in the mood for Autumn and canning and making things from scratch.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

My favorite scene from Farmer Boy is when the parents go away for vacation. The kids have been told not to eat all the sugar. Well, they don't quite eat ALL of it.