Monday, August 16, 2010

Full of hope Monday

endorphin: n, any of a group of endogenous peptides (as enkephalin) found especially in the brain that bind chiefly to opiate receptors and produce some pharmacological effects (as pain relief) like those of opiates.

from Merriam-Webster

In case you were wondering, jogging is possible even if you're 100 pounds overweight with arthritic knees. I used to think that the selective editing on The Biggest Loser was borderline unrealistic because such large people were jogging on the treadmills. Turns out if your body is warmed up enough and the motivation's there, anything's possible. I know I have to be really careful with my knees...I certainly wasn't breaking any records with my light jogging on the cool-down Saturday at the Y, but I was struck by how EASY it felt...I wasn't laboring for breath, my lower body wasn't screaming...and the exquisite endorphins that followed me out to the parking lot and stuck around all evening as I read my books and finished one MIL sock...I'm really quite happy lately.

Random thought: clothes fit so comfortably when you wear a belt. Can't believe I forgot that, but weight gain introduces elastic waist pants onto the scene and belts fall to the wayside...it really has been about 10 years since a belt was part of my wardrobe. My self-image is getting a nice jolt from wearing one again.

This week will fly by, but I hope to get some more pictures in before we head north...celebrating a couple of birthdays at Les's folks in SC this coming weekend. Also hoping to hit Hitchcock Woods while I'm there, avoid family strife, play with my niece, and meditate when I can't say what I'm thinking. Jumping into Buddhism with both feet, reading my books and trying to find what speaks to me loudest...or should I say quietest...and hitting the Y Tuesday through Thursday. Tonight I'm making pizza from scratch, creating at least one other meal to get us through the week, and cleaning where needed so the rest of the week will run smoothly and my head won't be addled :)

No comments: