Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Rallying.....again.....

I've had that header before...how sad is that?

My little black cloud is wandering away, and I look to the week with semi-fresh eyes. Last night was productive; gave thought to my planting and realized I really need a table from Mom's, because I'll be starting all my seedlings indoors first. So with that decision made, I was able to let up on myself for not starting still...and I made chicken and dumplings from scratch last night for my sick Husby, and in spite of the dumplings falling apart on me, I think it's my best attempt yet :)

I put the Bookworm link on my blog with the intention of reading Silent Spring by Rachel Carson this month. I've checked it out of the library, however it's quickly getting buried in favor of more recent tomes on sustainability and agriculture, such as:
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle ~ David Wann
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools & Techniques for the Home or Market Gardener ~ Eliot Coleman
  • Planters, Containers, & Raised Beds: A Gardener's Guide ~ Chuck Crandall
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture ~ Elizabeth Henderson
  • The Whole Herb ~ Barbara Pleasant
  • The Fate of Family Farming ~ Ronald Jager

Interesting stuff! I'm making the effort to teach myself about the basics of growing, because I've killed plenty of plants in my life, but this time it's very different, since I actually care about having real food be the result of my efforts. Knitting's taking a backseat while I educate myself, but there's a coworker pregnant with twins and I think I'm getting the itch to do some little hats...

No comments: