Thursday, August 10, 2006

One day at a time...

Exercise...it's like AA but funner.

Ok, it's not funner, but the lift in spirits it gives you more than makes up for the slogging effort required. I feel good today, physically and mentally.

There was no way to realistically pull off the library-to-home walk after work yesterday. The heat was oppressive, in spite of the lurking rain clouds, and the 2nd mile of that stretch would've been entirely sans shade. So I tarried on the fence for just a moment, and then changed and went up to the treadmill. Still sore from yoga the day before, so only did a mile and change, but very glad I went, because I'm giving myself a day off today so I can relax with my bitches tonight. The damn treadmill is still a snore, and I had to ignore a couple of my young ethnic neighbors dicking around on the other equipment initially; but I practiced a kind of focus and it went by faster. I watched the turtles again, and I focused on the reflections of the trees on the still pond.

If I want to pull off the longer stretches in full sun, I'm going to have to do it in the early morning. There's no getting around that until the blasted summer begins to wane. May actually be worth it, since it means getting off that boring-assed treadmill.

The key is making it habit. I know it's only been, hell, less than a week, and I certainly don't expect to lose any weight this week—won't even look. But I'm building up endurance and making exercise a habit. If I just keep building up endurance and don't look at the scale, I won't get discouraged and the miles will take care of themselves. And in the back of my mind is the knowledge that I can do 13.1 miles in a day, because I did 14.5 miles in a day, 4 years ago. I may have been in a world of hurt afterwards, but it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. It's in me, that will. Just gotta match it physically.

Put the realistic email addresses in my Walk page book last night. I'm not sending emails to anyone at their work, unless it's absolutely the only address I have for them. So folks with sketchy or no emails will get snail-mail letters, which means a bunch of stuffing envelopes and more than a few wasted stamps, since I'll make the donation form envelopes SASEs. But it's worth it if I get even a $5 donation from folks. That's all I was able to give Alexa for her walk last weekend, but I know it made a difference.

This weekend, I'll send out the emails and do my mailings. And think about any possible corporate sponsors. And think about selling candy. Also write the letter for my company; the stock may be low right now, but they're in a much better position to donate to me than they were in 2002. Which they didn't even do, the snots.

But tonight is Knitting Bitches, a chance to socialize and work on some sad, neglected UFOs. Thinking of working on the sock and the SSS tonight.

No comments: