Thursday, April 27, 2006

Beltane looming


(graphic courtesy of http://www.crystalinks.com/maypole.html)

Where HAS the time gone? Seems like yesterday I was putting together the material for the Ostara class. I blink and this coming Monday is May Day.

I follow a calendar of astrology and convenience so I'll probably be celebrating Beltane on Cinco de Mayo this year, since a) the sun enters 15 degrees Taurus that day, and b) it's just easier to perform rituals on a Friday than a Monday. Though Beltane's supposed to be more of a dawn or daytime ritual than night, so with them both work days, it's kind of a crap shoot.

Given that Beltane is a fertility festival, Les probably won't come within 3 feet of me for the next week, but I'm going to try to at least get him out for a walk this weekend--maybe we can hit one of the parks. The church and CUUPs aren't doing anything for Beltane this year; folks are too busy, so no maypole, but I'm still going to try and do a ritual outdoors somewhere. Apartment living sucks for this sort of thing; I've done rituals on my porch before, but it's really cramped, you're stuck wearing clothes, and you feel like you're being watched. For something like Beltane, when you're truly celebrating spring and the earth in all its glory, you want to spread your arms, run, jump, shout, roll in the grass, smell the leaves. I'm definitely going to a park. Still gotta wear clothes, but at least I can spread out and revel in the green.

Jacksonville's terrific, park-wise; I was able to perform my initiation ritual at one in the Southside with almost no interruptions or distractions. Next year, goddess willing, we'll be moving right around Beltane (OUT of FLORIDA!!!), so there won't be time to observe, so this year I'm gonna make it count.

No comments: