Monday, February 06, 2006

Accomplishment on 2 levels




Meet Alexa and Maria, the only living proof willing to admit that Melanie can knit!

Well, not entirely true, I suppose...my mom just got a shawl for her birthday...whether she's worn it or not though, ...

Granted, there are those who look upon us Florida knitters as needing our heads examined, which is why Alexa and Maria are the perfect models. Hailing from Salem, Massachusetts, where if the snow doesn't kick your ass, then the wind off the water will, this getup may still look a little funny, but I'll bet it keeps Maria snug in her sling. This was a standard rectangular poncho with Vneck in White Buffalo Straw and Persimmon; I cribbed ideas from about 3 different patterns, because it was my first time working with White Buffalo so I was inexperienced at shaping with that type of yarn, and in retrospect, I'll use larger needles next time.

Hey A, would it be warmer if you stitched the sides together and left armholes? The thing already feels like one of those Xray capes, but, just pondering...

The second level of accomplishment I'm referring to is the SSS. Had Imbolc stuff Saturday and Saturday night, worked a couple of hours Sunday morning, and did some baking after a nap Sunday afternoon. Once the Super Bowl started, I finally sat down with the ole SSS and studied/counted whether any damage I'd done was irreparable. Nope, looked ok, only one section off a stitch. Hole in the middle's a little big, but it's nothing I can't fiddle with later. I decided to transfer it to the 16" 7s, even though I was only about 12 rows in, because I really didn't trust myself too well with the dpns--even the 8s have you feeling like you've acquired at least 3 extra thumbs. Transferred and started knitting and something wonderful happened: I started to see the pattern in the yarn! Such relief! I mean, seriously, my first attempt was so funny, it would've been one of those ruthee moments of "here, let me just frog this for you to oh, row 6!" Since I'm knitting this for me, I don't mind if there's some fudgy spots, but I certainly don't want it laughable. But there's actual curves occurring. The tough part is the pattern's so easy to remember, I was forgetting to count my rows--I'd think I was at 13 when I was actually already up to 17--and I never bought a katcha-katcha, so it meant some careful counting once or twice, but I'm not confused by it anymore! ::snoopy dance::

Oh my...I'm a website editor and just came across a slogan that's begging to be shared.

For an old-fashioned soda fountain and ice cream shop:
Friends don't let friends lick alone.

Please forward comments to Robbie & Michelle at www..... :)

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Uh, duh, yeah. The poncho would be warmer if there wasn't a breeze coming in the sides. Hmmm. It would make it more difficult to put on though. And would require actual WORK on my part. Therefore it is unlikely to happen any time soon.

Did I mention I'll undo the cinching on the V and add a ribbed collar over the summer so I can use this alone next fall?

And I ran into someone at the Y who said she had the same hat as me. Knit from a Vogue (magazine?) pattern about 5 years back. It looks like the shape would be REALLY simple to knit. It's just straight up the sides, a little purling at the turn and then decreasing across the top to a pig tail in the middle. Yarn store lady told me you do that on two little DPN's and make a little tube. Ask Ruthee. ;)

Michelle said...

I hear you!