Monday, September 12, 2005

Old age and knitting

I'm wracking my brain to think of knitting I did this past weekend and coming up dry. Nada. Damn. After reading my fave blog, the Yarn Harlot, this ticks me off...not in the way you'd think tho'...I have a pal who agrees with me that when we read Starhawk's blog, we end up feeling more inadequate than inspired; but since knitting has become an actual enjoyable hobby, I can read the Yarn Harlot and have my delusions of aptitude without the immediate feeling of failure. I can go to knitty.com afterward, look at a piquant pattern and think, yeah, ok, it's doable; sure I'm still scared of cables and am practically the queen of stockinette, but yeah, maybe...

But I turned 36 on Friday. Wasn't exactly happy about it. I don't have kids yet. I'm not happy in my job. My husband's been out of work like, forever. We live in a holding pattern. And my husby, whom I can't say enough good things about, does have reality issues relating to time...like we were talking halfhandedly the other day about how far apart we want the kids, and he says, well, sure we'll wait like, a year...and I enlightened him to the fact that I'd rather have the 1st one out of diapers before the 2nd makes an appearance (if we can have 2, goddess willing). So I got a little toasty on Friday night (Dave & Buster's—screw the games in my book, their food is AWESOME!!!), and spent Saturday wondering why I needed 3 naps. I wasn't headachy, because unfortunately I have a great constitution for the stuff, but my body felt shredded. Which really pissed me off because I had things I wanted to accomplish this weekend. Luckily I woke up Sunday energized, and just TORE into our dining area, aka catchall of the house, and while it's by no means finished, I'm quite happy with the initial results. And completely sore from the work. Also made it out to the porch to give the plants some TLC and assess the rust on our bikes, because the Yarn Harlot's inspiring me in that regard too.

Almost broke my venting rule on this blog, but I figure since I mentioned the Yarn Harlot quite a few times, it slips in under the wire. Today's UFO Monday...will probably work on the purple poncho or the heinous burgundy wrap. Don't think that one'll go to Nanie after all; the yarn's an embarassment!

No comments: