Wednesday, September 21, 2005

mr. sock's not lonely anymore!

I think I'm going to devote my time to him solely, until I get the yarn for Alexa's poncho. I worked him last night and he was quite happy, though I think I'm going to have to ignore the directions a bit. I made the heel flap the full 2¾ inches because I'm hoping to wear these myself someday, so the number of stitches I'm working now on the gusset decrease is significantly larger than what the pattern thinks I should have. The pattern wants decreases on every other row, but I think I'm going to have to do at least every row or else the foot part of this sock's going to be HUGE!

At least I have a decent stash now, for when I do get the time to create the projects I have in mind...I've become the queen of Wool Ease, and while I'm not always crazy about how stretchy it is (finding it difficult to control on metal needles), I now have 3, 3-packs at the ready, all earmarked for future projects.

Alexa and I are hashing out her desires on the poncho; then she'll order the yarn for me. I hope to be working with a pretty basic pattern from LionBrand.com, with a big keyhole neck so she can wear it over her sling and still have access/breathe room for Maria. She found White Buffalo unspun online, which I'm a little skittish about, but I have that hand spindle if it gets out of control, and plenty of helpers in my bitches when I get freaked.

On that other topic, I worked out last night. Ow. Recognizing the long road ahead, I told Kellye I'd be there for the Autism walk to support her, but that walking was probably out. I feel OK about doing the 3 miles this Saturday for Making Strides because it's on road, but beach is quite another story. I'll clap and cheer and knit while they're walking. It's going to take more than a year easily, probably, to lose this weight, but at least I'm starting in a realistic mindset. Funny thing is, even my realistic mindset needs tweaking--I did an old Kathy Smith tape yesterday that I've always considered her easiest, because I have a great tendency to do too much right out of the gate and set myself up for failure. Imagine my surprise when the easiest tape turns out to make me as sore as Making Strides did 2 years ago! That's ok though; a little modifying of the ole expectations and we're still on track. I feel very strong :)

No comments: