Thursday, January 17, 2013

Waiting


So there's this storm called Iago, that's supposed to be hitting my little town in the next coupla hours...

He's late. This annoys me. I want my snow!

I know, I know...I should relax. I'm definitely not mocking the storm. I have a high school friend who lost her mom to black ice on a CT roadway. And we still don't have snow tires.

I hopped out to grab a few things today, because we have no intention of hitting the roadways for the foreseeable future. If we get nutty, there's a convenience store within walking distance, but given our financial sitch, we'd have to be pretty desperate for crap food to go there. We're otherwise stocked, and assuming the power holds, life will go on as normal. I need the laptop time, so I'm hoping we don't lose power; but at the same time, I'd love to tuck into the Little House books for the umpteenth time, reading them by candlelight with hot chocolate on the side. Thinking that's gonna happen tonight regardless...

I think I read that Asheville didn't get any snow last year, so this winter's been nice for the locals. Thing is, even though it snowed the first night we got here, and a couple of days after, I barely remember it because we were so insane at the time. Les's mom was visiting, we were getting settled, my body was in pretty decent pain that first week, and we were numb mentally from the move. This snow, I want to enjoy. Plus we finally found the blankety-blank camera!

First photos! We're the door on the left, the cat was a neighbors'...we're leaving the kitty condo outside for any ferals that need a hideaway from the cold. The ugly plastic shelving used to be our bookshelves, and I can't wait to harden off seedlings on the sucker. The lease also states I keep the flower bed weeded...they don't know what they've gotten themselves into, signing me. I'm hoping to rake up the whole thing, 86 the errant saplings, and plant greens and flowers. Just gotta wait for actual spring...

The brook is our front yard :) Just past the driveway is a couple of steps leading down to it and an ancient playset for kids. Good thing the playset is ancient or I'd probably hit the swings tomorrow. I so love it here!

No comments: