Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Pinch of Seasonal Affective



I'm backwards...we've had grey weather here the past couple of days, and I'm pretty sure I'd feel better about it if there were snow on the ground. It would seem more normal. Not saying I want to move back to an area of crazy snow...if I do get us further north than Charlotte in the years to come, it'll be a damn gradual undertaking. But this grey, 50s F, occasional rain stuff...it's a snore. Feels like what northerners feel in February, that "geez, winter's taking its time" mindset. Can't complain about the rain though; it keeps the spring forest fires at bay. Seems weird for a tropical state like Florida to get forest fires, but it happens.

Sorry, just wandering mentally, not a whole lot to report, but felt like blogging. Worked myself exhausted last night: went to the Y and then came home and did laundry and housework. My knees were killing me by the end of the night (stair work on top of Y, b/c laundry is a room at the front of our apartment complex), but I feel good today, like I accomplished stuff, and of course, the mornings run easier when lunch and the coffee are already prepped. It took a pinch longer to get to sleep last night, because I didn't have as much wind-down time, but it was a good gauge that I can get things accomplished in the evenings (with a little TV distraction in the background).

Keeping a close eye on what goes into the bod this week, tweaking recipes and practicing eating presently, with less or no distractions (you know, so you actually notice the food going into your face...so basic, it feels idiotic, but when you're a recovering overeater/grazer, it's really important to take this step). Going to have to do some extra cooking, because DH thinks his diverticulosis is acting up, which means less rice for him right when I'm using it as a staple in my meals. I can already tell I'm going to feel bored and a bit deprived with my uninspired salad at lunch (green leaf, northern beans, dressing), but I'll supplement with granola bars and make do til evening, when I'm thinking of putting together a smoothie to power me through a gentle yoga class at the Y. Didn't lose or gain last week, so determined to do the former this week. Funny how muscle aches make you feel more alive.

Image from here.

No comments: