Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mental wanderings

Crime tape all over the ER across from my building this morning...some poor bastard tried to leave AMA from the ER at 4 a.m. and got belligerent when security stopped him. Security called the cops, and they ended up tazing the guy in the parking lot. Nice. I'm sure the guy deserved it, sounds like he needed additional help ... but this is also the city that ruled it justified to empty 45 bullets into a bank robber and the car he was trying to jack, even though there was a family with kids in the car. The mother got shot too, and a 2 year old died. I really hope the pending civil suit screws the city to the wall. What's sad is it won't stop them from cutting budgets that can't afford to be cut, and combining officers' duties until they're all hopelessly overworked and underpaid. Understand that this is a rant...I don't have any answers, I just know the current system ain't cutting it.

While I'm ranting, I find it interesting that when this incident occurred, it was responded to by cold case cops, because they're called out to officer-involved incidents in addition to their cold case duties. How exactly do they expect cold cases to ever get solved if the cold case officers are always working current cases? Cuz lemme tellya, there's plenty of crime to go around here in Jax. I guess I'm just wildly naive to the needs of the city's security. Lord, I can't wait to move outta this area. I totally get that Charlotte ain't pristine; hell, its crime stats some years rival ours, but the environment is just so different...

Crap, gotta meeting, more later...

No comments: