Thursday, June 25, 2009

Two times a bridesmaid, already a bride

Afraid of posting the picture, don't want to slip into any copyright infringement territory, so here's the site link.

I went to sleep last night thinking about this dress and woke up this morning with it on my mind. I want to be forced to have alterations done on it, because it turns out to be too big when it comes in. I want to have a body that deserves a dress that pretty.

Yeah, ok, obsessing a little. Went bridesmaid dress shopping last night with Christy, my best friend since the 6th grade. They actually had one or two things in my size, so I tried stuff on with the rest of them, and it was surprisingly fun. With my body, I liken any shopping experience to trying on bathing suits, but fancy dresses are definitely different. The one that fit looked really matronly on the hanger, but I carried it better on. But I wasn't crazy about the brooch at the waist and it felt too...bulky or something. So her friend Vonn and I went back out to look some more, and I happened upon this one. It was in a size that Christy could try on for me to see, and I just knew. We're going with a Midnight Pearl color, a really deep navy blue, and while I'm recognizing it's going to be a little more form-fitting than some of the styles we were heading toward, Diana (another friend) was kind enough to note that the sweetheart neckline and cap sleeves (which fall naturally to the sides if desired) will be complementary to my body shape. So pregnancy plans and big body be damned, we ordered it in my current size and it should come in in September. She's not getting married until 10/10/10.

The side-gathered waist with the leaf applique spoke to my earthy nature. The lightly jeweled bodice made me feel like a girl, and I didn't even try the sucker on. Christy tried on and ended up purchasing a gown for the rehearsal dinner, because it looked amazing on her, the style spoke to hers, and I was reminded that it's important to have one/some of these kinds of dresses in your closet. I want to go walking right now, get in better shape, so that when I slip that dress on finally, my thoughts won't be on how disappointed I am in my body. Gotta tone my arms too. And get back on the Bean. And...

Am I being too...something? Probably, sure, but can it be wrong if it does motivate me properly? This wedding, however far in the future, will be a big deal, fancy with serious dough invested. I'm proud to be standing with my pal as she finally hooks her guy. I want it to be an amazingly happy day where my mind isn't constantly on how thank god the cap sleeves hide my flabby arms. Ridiculous, sure, but the negative voices in my head are unmerciful where my body is concerned. I can't have too many reasons to do right by me.

And then we went to Cheesecake Factory and blew any chance of it fitting when it comes in :) I kid, it was a delicious meal, and I was grateful, as I couldn't afford to go dutch this time.

Christy's a jewelry artist, and in the near future I'll be figuring out how to create a website to showcase her talents and hopefully get her selling her beautiful work. Just dawned on me, that Etsy might be more low-maintenance than creating something from scratch. Her stuff's more high-end than some of the stuff you'll find on Etsy, but it's completely handmade, so it certainly qualifies. Might be a nice jumping-off point...

Overheard they're going to be pushing weekend work, so much for my three-day weekend :( We're inheriting more furniture on Sunday...shhhh! haven't told Husby yet! Looking forward to next weekend's 3-day stretch for the holiday, and this weekend's extra work is motivating me to do more with my evenings. Hate when I can't rely on the weekends for wind down though.

No comments: