Monday, June 22, 2009

Modifications of Thought

I'm beginning to recognize that I'm not meant to keep plants that require any sort of care out on our porch. Literally, one of the things I'll look for in a house next year is a north-south exposure. My herbs aren't doing well, and the wildflowers never even tried to poke up. The rains haven't been regular since that spurt in May, and I get home from work so fried mentally I forget we even have a porch with attempted herbal food sources on it.

I'd forgotten that the problem with reading Kingsolver's book (Animal, Vegetable, Miracle) is that you then go to the average grocery store and realize that there isn't a single blessed thing there that you feel safe/moral about buying/wasting your money on. I stood looking at the eggs for like, 5 minutes, because I couldn't decide if we could afford organic from a grocery store brand that I didn't trust to be truly organic to begin with, or if we needed the eggs badly enough to go Eggland's Best once more...which are delicious if you can keep from thinking about the cages stacked to the ceiling housing the poor critters that are giving you the protein. We're tight on dough the next couple of weeks, so the Eggland's won out, but I dream of 10 years from now, when I see a mortgage with a decent yard for gardening and a couple of layers to eliminate the issue altogether. Gotta stop talking about that and start making it happen...talking really does only go so far where dreams are concerned.

Native Sun isn't open Sundays, or else I'd have gone there...I'm back to wanting all my veggies from that place. Saturday was a wash, never made it to the market...the whole weekend was a wash, went by like lightening, and I look on the new week with an impatience. The kitchen never even got cleaned. I spent yesterday in a bit of a fog, plowing through laundry at Mom's and missing Dad. Settled my brain with some sock knitting end of day, but I'm itching to get us eating better evening meals again, working a menu plan, making more from scratch...

No comments: