Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Vote!

My change from dyed-in-the-wool conservative to bleeding heart liberal was a long time coming. I was a staunch College Republican and held offices with that venerable, yet surprisingly fun bunch, because a) my parents were Republican, b) I didn't know how to think for myself yet, and c) I was in love with guy(s) who attained leadership with that crowd. 20 years ago...holy crap. When I met Les and got properly medicated (those two things were independent of one another), I changed. Started reading, started thinking, started realizing just how dangerous and narrow the "right" POV can be...I'm NOT trying to start a debate on liberalism vs. conservatism, never been a debater. This is just where I ended up, a self-proclaimed granola who wishes drilling in Alaska wasn't an option, that health care was borderline socialized, and that we'd get the hell out of the world police business.

So it was with a glad heart that I went and voted today...first time in ages I didn't feel like I was voting for the lesser of two evils. This change in me is fairly new as political changes go—I voted for Bush II in 2000, for pete's sake! But today is so important, if the tide goes our way. It sucks that the Current Occupant (as he's coined by Garrison Keillor) has screwed things up so badly, that it'll take Obama (please, gods!) his first term of office just to get sh*t under control...but oh well, take the good with the bad.

It's hard to think about things finally opening up in this country, when I'm voting for Obama on the same ballot that wants to declare marriage as one man, one woman only, in the state of Florida. We've got such a long way to go still...and I want to move to states even redder than Florida eventually. But I'm finally gaining confidence in my beliefs, and I look to the future with hope.

Happy Election Day, folks!

1 comment:

It's me said...

It sounds like I'm on sort of the same path. Hardcharging Republican (former Marine) who lately seems to be veering dead center.

I already voted, but for the first time in my life - a write-in. Go figure.

Peace to you, my friend.