Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Another sheep to the fold...

Well, truth be told, I've been a blogger for a while http://www.livejournal.com/users/ember_madrone/

It's a great way to vent without giving yourself writer's cramp. I whine about life there, rail against injustices, and release stuff that would be way too easy to take out on the husband. My Lil Sis, Meara, has an LJ account too, so it's a good way to keep in touch with her, hear about her life (she's a grad student in Orlando; I live in Jacksonville). It's also helping me purge my fears about my Lil Bro, Cyril, being deployed to Iraq in October.

But I've been thinking hard core lately about how I see my life shaping up in the next 15 or so years, and it means setting some things in motion. I want to move to South Carolina. I want to have kids. I want a new career. I want to homeschool said kids through junior high, possibly in a Waldorf curriculum. These things are going to take a lot of work, especially in the face of getting my husband back into school to get at least his AA, and the possibility of me going back to school eventually to get a 2nd BA and a Masters (I also think about being an Anthropology professor in the future). We've been living in a limbo of sorts for several years now, and it's finally gotten old.

So this blog will be to talk about my studies, my knitting projects, and how my life changes to accommodate the dreams listed above. We have just over 8 months to tear apart our home, toss or donate the excess, box it up, and haul it out. Luckily my husband Les's folks live within an hour of where we want to live, so it'll be easier to establish ourselves there. I hope to send Les up there by February to look for work. I can keep my job with my current employer, but it'll mean losing all the benefits, because I'll be working from a contract basis from home; so Les HAS to have a job before we move. In the meantime, I'm searching for housing and getting to know the area, while also maintaining about 5 projects on the needles, reading up on world religions and anthropology, and plowing through the Harry Potter series for fun. My brain's never sat still for long. Oh, and I've started exercising again, because I'm participating in 2 fund-raising walks this fall for breast cancer and autism. Tack a lithium deficiency onto that, and you have one fairly scatty broad :)

I'm going to attempt to keep the venting and whining on the LJ blog; I'd like this one to be more productive. I don't have a digital camera, but I know folks who do, so eventually I will post pics of my knitting projects and the escapades of my friends, the Knitting Bitches. We're a Stitch and Witch club (no, that's not a misspell) that meets weekly to knit and enjoy caffeine and each other. Still trying to figure a way to transport their asses to Columbia with me when I move; they've been a wonderful liferaft this past year. Les and I joke about how it figures that now that we've finally put down some roots in this damn city, we decide to move. But we'd much rather raise our kids near his folks than my own, so moving now would be smart.

No comments: